Friday, September 26, 2008

Simple Smiles

I really shouldn't admit this, but I have always been a little confused by the women who professed to love breast-feeding. For me, motherhood was a bit of an adjustment, and nursing did not go over well. Although things were better with my second child- I still could not reconcile myself to being so tied down to my sweet little baby. It seriously hasn't been until this child, my third, that I have truly come to appreciate nursing. Maybe it takes a few kids before you come to appreciate an excuse for a little down time. But more than that- I can't help but laugh each time my darling little Rachel turns feeding time into her own personal social hour. She always starts out so focused, but before long, she's smiling, cooing, laughing and just content to visit with anyone close by. But no matter who she sees and smiles at...when she's looking into my eyes, it feels like there is no one she loves more than me (which is hogwash of course...since her daddy feels the same way). But it definitely has changed my whole perspective on nursing, her sweet simple smiles bring so much joy into our home. They are truly contagious and we love her for it!!

2 comments:

Kammi said...

Oh my goodness she is so cute and getting so big! When are you going to bring her (and the kids) in??? :)

Brimley Family said...

I must say I am very excited to meet little Rachel! What a nice brother to tell her stories!

When I nursed Bailey I don't think I appreciated nursing as much as I should have. But after she was done nursing and I was around nursing mothers I realized what a special time that was and I missed it! I think with the first baby we are always in such a rush to have them grow up because we are so exctied for them to hit all the milestones and see how they learn and grow. I must say I am deffinately not in a rush to have little Spence grow up! I've realized it's gone too fast with Bailey!